Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Gates

by The Girl Behind The Red Door
The Gates is one of the new shows I’ll be introducing together with two others. This show wasn’t planned in my list as I stumbled upon it while looking through the summer shows. By the first scene, I was intrigued and by the end of the pilot, I was hooked. The show can be described as Supernatural meets Desperate Housewives.

The characters live in a gated community called The Gates. However, the difference with this gated community compared to others is that not only humans take up residences in The Gates as the community houses vampires, witches, werewolves, succubus and other supernatural creatures. The one code everyone lives by is that no supernatural creatures can hurt or attack another in the community and everyone be it human or otherwise has to live by this code. The only drawback is that the humans does not know of the existence of the supernatural creatures whom they call neighbours.

In the pilot, we see Detective Nick Monahan (Frank Grillo) and his wife Sarah (Marisol Nichols)and their children Charlie (Travis Caldwell)and Dana (McKaley Miller )moving into The Gates as Nick has been offered the post of chief of police after having a trying time in Chicago due to an incidence whereby he killed a man in custody. By the first episode, he notices something strange among the people living in The Gates but he has no concrete prove.

The other characters are the Radcliff’s that is Dylan Radcliff (Luke Mably) and his wife, Claire (Rhona Mitra). They’re both vampires and they have an adopted human daughter, Emily (Georgia Cole). As the season progresses, Nick finds out about the werewolves and vampire community and he does his best to protect everyone’s secret.

The show also has witches in the form of Peg Mueller (Victoria Platt) and Devon (Chandra West). Of these two, Peggy is a good witch and is the doctor in the community while Devon uses her powers in an insidious way.

The best thing about this show is that it doesn’t drag the storyline on whether each character is human or not. The plot is exciting and keeps me on my toes. This is one show I recommend though I do concede that this show is not everyone’s cup of tea.

Watch the trailer and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. It's totally my cup of tea~!! HOW AND WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD IT??? Please give me a link!!! T.T

    ReplyDelete
  2. The show does seem interesting.
    The promo is promising.
    It's a plus to see Luke Mably as a vampire and to see Frank Grillo.
    I remembered him as the lawyer in Prison Break who died with Veronica in Season 1.
    Great synopsis.

    ReplyDelete